Friday, November 8, 2013

Straight To the Highest Authority

“If I do not know the meaning of the language… the speaker [shall be] a foreigner to me.”  (1 Corinthians 14:11)

In one of my favorite cartoons from Leadership magazine (I have lost the reference), two choir members seated behind the pulpit of a church are looking over the shoulders of the pastor who is preaching to his congregation.  To their right as they look out onto the congregation, they see the sea of somber faces of the audience who is listening to his sermon.  But to their left, as they are peer over the shoulders of a deaf interpreter signing the sermon to the remainder who cannot hear, they notice that they are rolling over in the aisles with laughter.  The very sight leads the one choir member to whisper to the other, “I think the deaf interpreter is adlibbing again.”

Of course their contrasting responses to the same sermon hint that the original message was either lost or confused somewhere in the transmission.  While certain people that morning may have enjoyed the hilarity of the moment, something stood between them and the capturing of the main point!  To my point, while translators from one language may partially convey the original message to speakers of a different language, they cannot do so exhaustively.  Something will be lost in that communication.  This reality should not disturb us.  My point in writing is not to decry the challenge of speaking cross-culturally.  To the contrary, we have good reasons to do the hard work that celebrating differences between members of differing languages and cultures demands.  So I write instead to encourage recognition that these challenges exist so that we give the required attention to assuring we understand the speaker of another language as best we can.  Attitudes both of haste and laziness can easily get in the way of successful communication cross-culturally.

For Christians, the endeavor to understand the opening chapters of Genesis is a significant cross-cultural challenge.  My purpose in writing this, I repeat, is not to discourage my readers.  Of the two main original languages of the Bible, Hebrew and Greek, I am far more comfortable with the latter.  I have had formal study of both, but far less so of the former.  Indeed the benefit I gain from my comfort with the Greek New Testament makes clear how much I have yet to learn from the Hebrew Testament.  Nevertheless, with the aid of books, articles and essays by Hebrew speakers, commentaries, an inter-linear Hebrew Old Testament, and serious research, I have matured in my understanding and respect of the language of the opening chapters of Genesis.

To be continued…


                              

No comments:

Post a Comment