Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Own Submission to the Test

“But test everything; hold fast to what is good, abstain from every evil.”  (1 Thessalonians 5:21,22)

The same standards that apply to others apply also to me.  Commitment to the truth obligates me to submit my opinions to authorities in the fields in which I choose to write.  It is my habit to read from people whose position on the particular issue at hand differs from mine because I think it valuable to view issues from points of view that lie outside of my own bias frame of mind.  Indeed I have a bias…just like everyone else.  I want to test my point of view against the best thinking of others, and so adjust my own position when the facts dictate because I want to be assured that I am not leading others astray.  Engagement with other people helps me understand them, even as it also helps me sharpen my own thinking.  Consequently in 2001, I posted a position paper titled, “Hoax? Myth? Or Literally True?,” which argued for the historical resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth from the dead.
A number of years ago, in response to my article, I received an e-mail from a Professor of psychiatry at Stockholm [Sweden] University who was also a self-professed atheist.  In order to whet your appetite, I will below provide the first several e-mail exchanges of what turns out to be a rather extensive back and forth on this very question.  One of my biggest regrets is that, over time, I lost the last third of our interchange.  But for now I invite you to visit my website at www.christianityontheoffense.com (notice the reverse in word order from my blog address) where you can read the entire exchange (well, the first two thirds) for yourself.  It is titled, “Kalle Spolander.”  With the exception of joining sentences into a single paragraph for each date, I have not edited the contents of the “debate.”  I also strongly encourage looking at my entire essay, "Hoax? Myth? or Literally True?: The Evidence For Jesus' Bodily Resurrection," at the same website.

April 28, 2001
Good evening,  I stumbled across one of your articles on www.christiananswers.net, called, “How do we know that Jesus really rose from the dead?”  Never have I seen such stupidity and twisting and picking and mixing of facts.  Would you care to debate me about the contents of the articles?  Tell me if you have the time and energy to do it.

Regards, Kalle, Stockholm University
April 28, 2001, 11:00 AM

Yes, Kalle, I am interested in debating you.  I must say at the outset, that I am not slightly impressed with your charges.  Wherever people come down on this question, even if, in the end, they remain unpersuaded, it is silly to make the kind of attacks represented by your e-mail.  I am expecting the level of discussion for your side will rise.  What you read on Christiananswers.net is a rather heavily edited version of an essay I have prepared.  My paper edition I distribute on street corners here in Seattle, including the University of Washington, and several other colleges.  I am, however, sending you, as an attachment, a somewhat longer edition that can go over the internet so that you both can read my argument in context and consider my notes and sources.  I am eager for substantive response from you that rises above mere name-calling.  Sincerely, Gary Jensen

April 29
Good morning,  How interesting.  I must admit that this came as quite a shock for me.  I wasn’t prepared to rebut a 125kb text.  But I will take the time, of course.  But it will of course take longer than I intended.  I hope you understand that.  I must also ask for your permission to present this debate in full on a website for others to read.  I think I have to take back my stupidity claim, since I didn’t read your text in full.  I apologize for that.  Now I will begin to deal with your essay.  Though I am a working man, I hope to be able to finish it this week at least.

April 29, 2001
Good morning Kalle,  I hope I have your name correct.  Not only am I interested in debating you, but I give you full permission to make the debate public on your website.  Do you intend to post my essay so that people can read my position in context?  Sincerely, Gary Jensen

April 30…...

No comments:

Post a Comment