Saturday, June 27, 2020

Does “Black Lives Matter” Represent Blacks? Read their official agenda for yourself! part 1


The official agenda for “Black Lives Matter” (BLM) can be found at blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/.  Their agenda is far broader and invasive than what the media as a whole implies, which in itself, highlights the urgency of your reading exactly what it is they say, as opposed to blindly following the crowd.  I acknowledge that I don’t agree with what their title directly says for the reason that, to me, ALL lives matter, including blacks.  I make that case in my letter to the editor of the Daily American newspaper which I recently posted on this blogsite.  I hasten to acknowledge however that I agree with some of BLM’s statements.  Yet instead of rehashing them, I will highlight (in italics and boldface) other statements which I regard as potentially controversial that are each followed by my commentary.  If you wish, you may choose to initially read the boldfaced portion apart from my comments.
·        We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs, or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

I take NO issue here.  Every single person who is not engaged in harming others deserves to be protected and affirmed as a valued person in society, whether by officials or fellow humans.

·        We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.
Here I begin to take issue.  The word, “participate,” is ambiguous.  If it means simply to parti-cipate in common activities together with the rest of society, then I agree that all people should be invited to join in.  On the other hand, if it means to participate in, let’s say, committees that intend to deprive other peoples of their social rights, their presence would entail “leading” them in such a way that, to the contrary, violates the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.
·        We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.
The term “cisgender,” means, “denoting…a person whose sense of personal identity and gender corresponds with their birth sex” (Oxford Languages).  My question is, on what grounds, either moral or intellectual, can any group possibly insist that transgenderism is equivalent to “strait” sexuality?  Since the attempted removal of cisgender privilege is so obviously absurd, this call entails far more than offering common respect, it is clearly a demand to overthrow not only sexual choices, but the freedom to affirm truth over falsehood in every intellectual context.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment