Monday, December 17, 2012

Why Not Both/And? Part II


Why Not Both/And?  Part II

On December 7, I was interviewed by Doug Bursch for his radio program, “Live From Seattle,” in anticipation of my up-coming debate with an atheist on the existence of God.  Further details of the relevant circumstances are noted in my recent blog titled, “Why Not Both/And?”  I wish to be clear that I am grateful for the gracious manner he received me and for the very generous amount of time he gave me on air.  Yet I was concerned by some of his closing remarks later at the end of his program where he expressed skepticism about the appropriateness of Christians debating about the existence of God.  I wished he had asked me directly at the time of the interview that I might allay some of his concerns.  So I began to address his concerns in that blog. 

I think it important to now offer two additional reasons why it is important for Christians to lay out the case for the Christian claim by means of a debate format.  First of all, the challenge from the skeptics is in fact already underway.  Controversy is an on-going present reality.  If Christians choose to remain silent, the skeptics will simply continue their attacks on Christianity with increasing confidence and vigor.  From the matter of perception alone the momentum is mounting for their side and needs to be challenged.  Second, it is urgent that the actual contents of the case for Christianity be publically laid out for all to see.  Skeptics needs to “face the heat” from the superior arguments that strongly favor of the existence of the God of the Bible.  Yet Christians too need to become familiar with the powerful case for the God of Holy Scripture.  There can be no more effective means of proving the validity of these arguments than by exposing them to rigorous critique in public debate with a strong dissenter (in this case a representative from the atheist or agnostic camp).

It is vital that Christians who are equipped as apologists express these gifts for the encouragement of others who lack such training.  C.S. Lewis stated the matter so well: “To be ignorant and simple now -- not to be able to meet our enemies on their own ground – would be to throw down our weapons, and to betray our uneducated brethren who have, under God, no defense but us against the intellectual attacks of the heathen.”  (“Learning in Our Time.” The Weight of Glory).   

No comments:

Post a Comment