Saturday, April 2, 2022

Is Science-Honoring-Trust an "Essential" Biblical Posture?

              My pastor recently asked me why I thought it so important to insist (as indeed I do) on creation through[1] the Big Bang (BB).  That query moved me first to reflect, and then to self-clarify, that my focus is really less on the BB per se than it is on the authority of scientific judgments in general.[2]  His challenge (which I welcomed) suggested he does not share my position.  Indeed, as we continued he told me that some of “our” congregational members hold to young-earth-creationist (YEC) views, and consequently, he expressed disapproval of anyone seeking to dissuade them.  Now, it is important to clarify to readers that my pastor and I revere each other and are also cordial friends; a posture that in fact reflects the actual tone of this respectful interchange.  Since I had already suspected his views, I was actually glad we forestalled our having to dance around the table about this matter.  In fact, I assured him that in our congregation, I only desire to witness to my view; not challenge others.

               There is no doubt in my mind that, by commending the BB as an apologetic tool for affirming the existence of God, my very presence, to a degree, impedes peace (insofar as peace exists) in any Christian circle; much like a pebble caught underfoot in one’s sandal, for the reason that I am effectively calling YEC into question.  I take no joy in unsettling the faith of YECs (although it should be duly noted that YEC adherents do the same thing with respect to the BB).  So, that tension really goes both ways (at least it should).  Yet since I hold that creation began through the BB, the question logically follows, “Does the Bible authorize dismissing established scientific facts insofar as they seem to conflict with a biblical text? 

               
For the full article, find me at my website, www.christianityontheoffense.com/articles      


[1] The Big Bang did not cause the universe.  It was the effect from God calling the cosmos into existence in a manner consistent with Genesis 1:1.

[2] If science conclusively indicated the earth was created before the sun less than 10,000 years ago, I would embrace young-earth-creationism.

[3] Langdon Gilkey. Maker of Heaven and Earth. (Doubleday, 1959), pp. 48-54.

[4] Phenomenon, a (pl) is the material stuff of reality that can, in principle, be perceived and measured by our senses or instruments.

[5] Not “heaven” the “abode” of the saints and the angels, but the starry heavens.  The word, “heaven,” in the Bible has three definitions.

[6] A nebulous term that can mean all of existence below the highest heavens, including every aspect of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment