Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Beginning Before Bethlehem


As a believing Christian, Christmas is my favorite season of the year.  No other occasion on the calendar so inspires my imagination.  I love the lofty themes set forth in John chapter 1, that the Creator of all things (v.1-3) came to earth as a human being (v.14) for the purpose of our salvation (v.29).  While God’s ultimate mission (Luke 19:10) in Jesus Christ was completed later at Golgotha (John 19:30), it began with the incarnation (“enfleshment”) of God the Son (Philippians 2:5-11).

By faith I accept the Christmas narrative according to Luke (2:1-20) as a true description of events that happened in history.  I believe Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit and was born of a virgin named Mary, and that she with her betrothed (Joseph) left their hometown of Nazareth in Galilee and went to Bethlehem in Judea in order to fulfill a taxation decree under Caesar Augustus.  And I believe she gave birth to Jesus in a stable “because there was no room for them in the inn.”

Christmas, however, is more than a story.  It is also an expression of the character of God Almighty.  It answers the age-old question of what “god” (or “the gods”) is like.  Is He hostile toward humanity?  Is He indifferent toward us?  Is He righteous or is He just as full of folly as the gods of the Roman pantheon?  Is He holy? And if so, must this mean our doom?  No single passage in the Bible will ever answer all of our questions about God’s nature.  But the first chapter of John does make clear that the God who stretched out the heavens at the beginning of time, in the fullness of time came for our salvation in Jesus Christ (His name literally means “God to the Rescue!”).  Furthermore, in the present time He invites all people to come to Him in faith and without fear (Matthew 11:28, 29).

This is why the Christmas story according to the Bible does not begin at Bethlehem.  Neither does it begin back in Nazareth (Luke 1:26-38).  It begins in heaven with the character of God who, in love, sent His Son into the world in order to bring us salvation from our sin (Romans 5:8).

When I debated on the question, “Does God Exist?” this past December 10, my atheist challenger asked me before the audience why God couldn’t just wipe our sin out of the picture by the wave of his hand!  My reply, that our sin is more serious than we think, did not persuade him.  In retrospect I regret that tactic.  I should have instead argued the point that God, in fact, did send His Son into the world for the very purpose of our rescue.  The historical case for Jesus Christ is enormously powerful, as I have begun to convey in recent blogs.  For the purpose of clarifying the range of evidence in support of the New Testament portrait of Him I encourage you to request a copy of the following two of my essays:  1) "The Prints are Everywhere: The Convergence of Science, History, and Experience, with Biblical Revelation,”  and 2) ”Hoax? Myth? Or Literally True?  The Evidence for Jesus’ Bodily Resurrection.”

For me the claims of the New Testament about Jesus of Nazareth are long ago settled.  What I most wish to convey today is the power of this long-told story to transform your life, as it has my own, in the knowledge of God’s love for the entire world.  And that includes you!

2 comments:

  1. Given another chance to answer that question of why God doesn't just wipe away our sins, what would you say? I think for someone to just accept the answer that he sent Jesus, the opposition would first have to agree that the bible is true - which is not the case for an atheist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna, In my blog I encourage non-believers in God to actually examine the state of the evidence, as opposed to simply dismissing it out-of-hand. That is the "scientific" method of facing the evidence. At the same time, it seems valuable for non-Christians to become aware of what the actual beliefs of the Christian faith include. I fear that many have little awareness of what Christianity really claims, irrespective of whether what we believe is true.

      Delete