Friday, November 9, 2012

Why "Offensive?"

This is my first blog.  Having just moved into the blogging sphere last night I have not begun to decorate my site with photos.  I don’t yet know blogging lingo.  I have yet to assemble a brief bio, although I assure you, I am who I will say I am in just a few days!  I’m not a “techie.”  I intend to improve my space over time…hopefully quickly!

On its face, “offensive,” as it appears in my address appears as an offensive word.  Who wants to be around offensive people?  On the other hand, if I was a quarterback, I would expect of my offensive line that they take that posture very seriously.  An effective defensive team, of course, is crucial to winning the game.  But it is not sufficient.  Victory only happens when the entire team (primarily the offense) scores more points than the opposing team.

I decry Christians who are offensive in their methods and manners.  Of the arrogant the Apostle Paul writes, “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you” (Romans 2:24).  In our engagement with others we Christians are, to the contrary, to “treat all people with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15).

At the same time, it is urgent that gentle and loving Christians embrace the theme, “Christianity on the Offense.”  We have solid grounds for commending the Christian message to our secular culture as absolutely true.  I will be laying these grounds out in a public debate on December 10, 7:00 pm, at Everett (city of) Community College here in Washington.  The debate question will be “Does God Exist: Where Do the Facts of Science and History, and the Insights of Human Experience Point?”

As for my blog, I will argue that it is both biblical and reasonable that we Christians should posture ourselves not on the defense, but on the offense!


           

No comments:

Post a Comment