Thursday, January 16, 2014

My Two Worst Witnessing Blunders Part II

More recently, a little less than a decade ago, as I was driving for Shuttle Express, I was given the assignment of driving a van load of people to a conference at a university campus in our Puget Sound region. As I was driving I asked the group (seated behind me) what the conference was about. One passenger enthusiastically informed me that they were all about to meet, and indeed, be physically embraced by, the “Hugging Prophet” from India whose name was Amma (Sri Mata Amritanandamayi Devi). Before I knew it, the same person then asked me both how long I had been driving for my company, and what I did before that. I replied, as was my manner, “If you can believe it, I am a Lutheran pastor in my other life” (which as I now think about it, might not have been my best choice of words in light of the fact that people from India tend to believe in reincarnation!). He (obviously the group leader) in turn said to me, “I would like you to explain to everyone on the van what you believe as a Christian.” I was floored at the opportunity laid before me. Such sweeping openings are very rare.

As I drove down the freeway I proceeded to tell the ten or so people on the van that God forgives our sins freely, apart from works, by declaring us righteous and therefore not guilty through Jesus Christ. I prayed then and later too, that such news would penetrate their hearts. After all, what I had said to them was absolutely true. And for me the doctrine of justification is the greatest news of all. Nevertheless, upon further reflection I concluded, and still maintain, that in light of the person they were determined to meet, I might have instead connected the Gospel specifically with the embrace they were seeking from the “Hugging Prophet.” The doctrine of justification I had conveyed is a marvelous teaching. Yet it does not hang in mid-air, but instead flows from the reality of the One who hung on the cross at Calvary for the sins of the whole world. Furthermore, the death of His Son is the expression of the love of God (John 3:16, Romans 5:8, Philippians 2:5-11). The love of the God of the universe does not settle for a mere “hug” (as nice as hugs are!). In the mystery of the Holy Trinity God the Son laid aside His crown and left heaven to come for our rescue by taking our sins upon Himself at the cross. This amazing story of the passion of Christ can (and indeed does) include the doctrine of justification. 

Correct doctrine matters enormously in our witness of the Gospel. But my reflection on the Scriptures reminds me that that doctrine is connected to at least two stories. Its content is connected first to the story of the incarnation, the death, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. And the communicating of that Good News needs to be connected, in some way, with the stories of the people we are addressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment